Monday, October 17, 2011

I Feel Like Celebrating!

I've got three big reasons to celebrate today...

First and foremost, I am very excited to announce that I have reached the end of the year's final tour!  That's right, after my busiest year of touring ever, with a total of 22 weeks on the road,  in 9 countries on 4 continents, I will be heading home in three days.   I am thrilled and relieved beyond words to be able to say that.   I've had some truly great and rewarding experiences during my travels in 2011, but I must say I hope I never again travel this much in one year.     There will be some upcoming posts about the current tour, which has taken us to Australia (which was AWESOMELY AWESOME), Hong Kong, Macau, and now Japan.  Here's a sneak peek:


Secondly, I wanted to take the opportunity to announce some upcoming solo events that have been developing in recent weeks.     I am honored to have been invited to be a guest artist/clinician at three wonderful universities this winter.    First up will be a Trombone Day at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater on January 29th, 2012; then the following weekend at the University of Southern Mississippi's Trombone Day, which will be February 3-4, 2012.   A huge thanks to Mike Dugan (UWW) and Ben McIlwain (USM) for the invites!   I am really looking forward to these events, which will each include a solo recital and masterclass(es).   Just after the USM event, I'll head back to my (soon to be) alma mater, the University of North Texas, where I will be performing a concerto with the UNT Symphonic Band and giving some masterclasses (stay tuned for more info).    As I found out back in June at the International Trombone Festival, I get such a kick out of solo playing, and I feel very blessed that the opportunities keep coming.   


 These places will not know what hit em'!

And lastly, I just realized yesterday that I missed the 1-year anniversary of Back Row Perspectives!  It's now been over a year since my first post, and I have to say I'm pretty proud of myself for sticking with this.   There was a part of me that thought I would give up, but I have been so encouraged by the feedback from BRP readers that I found the motivation to keep posting.    I know I often comment to many of you that I just post this stuff for my own enjoyment and to preserve my memories (which I do), but it is also nice to think other people are somewhat interested in it as well.    As of today, the blog has over 15,000 views from two-dozen different countries, including places I've never been before! I'm lookin' at you, Bulgaria and Norway!!

I hope to someday visit these BRP-lovin' countries!

So that's what I'm happy about today!    I made it a year without giving up on the blog,  I'm gonna get to hug on my sugar booger and my li'l turkey buzzard in a couple days (yes, those are actual nicknames of my wife and child), and now I get to start preparing some solo works for my concerts in January/February! 

There are some good things coming up in the orchestra as well:  Wagner's Ring Cycle with Christian Thielemann and Brahms' German Requiem with Danielle Gatti.   Keep your eyes peeled for full reports.

No comments:

Post a Comment